Il Reportage, the quarterly literary, journalism and photography review, in collaboration with Officine Fotografiche Roma and Leica Camera Italia, is pleased to announce the first edition of Il Reportage Photojournalism Award 2016, an international documentary photography competition.
The theme of this first edition is “BORDERS”.
With this theme, we want to refer to an idea of a border that, starting from the geopolitical concept of the term, transcends it and arrives at exploring its meaning in all its nuances. In this regard, the words of the philosopher Zygmunt Bauman are enlightening:
“Boundaries are drawn to create differences, differences between one place and the restof space, between one stretch of time and the rest of time, between one category of human creature and the rest of humanity. […] In our fast-globalising world borders become less and less effective […] they acquire more and more significance and tend to be over-saturated with meaning. […] Borders, either made of bricks and cement or just symbolic are sometimes battlefields but they are also creative labs of the art of living together. They are also soils in which seeds of future forms of humanity are thrown and grow (consciously or not).”
The competition is open to all professional photographers and young talents, without any restriction in terms of nationality , who wish to present a selection of photographs (between 15 and 25) of a finished work that has been carried out in the past two years and that is related to the theme, interpretable either through stories that are focused on contemporary issues of great scope or on micro-social contexts of everyday life and situations that are given little space in traditional media.
An initial selection of the works will be curated by the editors of Il Reportage and the staff of Officine Fotografiche Roma, with the publication of the 25 projects that will take part in the final stage of the competition on the Il Reportage website. The selection of the finalists and the winner will be entrusted to professionals from the worlds of journalism, photography and publishing: Lorenza Bravetta (Director of C.A.M.E.R.A. Centro Italiano per la Fotografia), Riccardo De Gennaro (Director of Il Reportage), Stefano De Luigi (Photographer from the VII agency), Emilio D’Itri (Director of Officine Forografiche Roma), Tiziana Faraoni (Photoeditor of L’Espresso), Andrea Pacella (Head of Marketing at Leica Camera Italia), Maria Teresa Salvati (Editor in Chief at Slideluck Editorial, Director of SlideLuck Europe).
The winner and the two runners-up will be announced during the award ceremony which will be held during the FotoLeggendo event, in Rome, on 12/06/2016.
The winner’s work will be exhibited at Officine Fotografiche Roma in October and the winner will receive a payment for publication of his or her work in the portfolio section of Il Reportage, distributed in Italy, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Greece, Portugal, the Italian and German-speaking parts of Switzerland, and Taiwan.
Thanks to the collaboration with Leica Camera Italia, the winner will have the opportunity to attend a free workshop run by Leica Akademie.
Furhermore, the staff of Slideluck Editorial will work together with the author to make a multimedia piece out of the photographic project, advising the photographer during the entire process, from the story editing throughout all the technical aspects. The multimedia will be promoted on the Slideluck web platform (www.slideluckeditorial.com) and showcased during the exhibition opening at Officine Fotografiche Roma.
During the event Il Reportage and Officine Fotografiche Roma will be delighted to invite the winner at the vernissage, taking care of all the travel and accommodation expenses. The fine art prints for the exhibition will be made by Irfe Colore Studio, will remain the property of the author and they will be shipped at the end of the exhibition days.
RULES AND CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION
– The selection for the competition is open from 15/03/2016 to 15/05/2016.
– There is no restriction in terms of the nationality of participants.
– It is possible to participate either as an individual photographer or as a collective.
– Participants must be at least eighteen years of age.
– The photographs submitted must be part of a single body of work and form a coherent narrative.
– The names of the 25 finalists will be announced on the Il Reportage and Officine Fotografiche websites on 01/06/2016.
– The names of the winner and the two runners-up will be announced on 12/06/2016 during the awards ceremony to be held at the FotoLeggendo event in Rome, in the presence of the jury members.
– min 15 – max 25 photographs of a single finished documentary project that has been realized in the last two years.
– the photographs must be saved in JPEG format and fall within the range of 1Mb – 3 Mb.
– If a work is selected it is important that the photographer has the original files in high resolution for printing.
– the files must be named and numbered, in order: name_surname_01; name_surname_02;
– a brief presentation of the project must be attached (in English – max 300 words)
– a short bio must be attached (in English – max 100 words)
– captions in metadata of each photograph must be included.
– all the data must be sent in a single zip file (photographs – project – bio) to firstname.lastname@example.org via WeTransfer.
– The zip file must be named as follows: title of the project_name_surname.
– Infiline: email@example.com
By the act of sending in the abovementioned documentation the author guarantees that he/she is their sole and exclusive author, and in compliance with Italian Law N° 633 dated 22 April 1941 and subsequent amendments (governing the discipline of copyright in Italy). The photographs of the twenty-five selected works published on the Il Reportage website will remain the exclusive property of the author, who authorise Il Reportage, Officine Fotografiche Roma, Leica Camera Italia and Slideluck Editorial to use them on social media free of charge, excluding use for commercial purposes. The photographers whose photos are exhibited are entitled to receive the prints of the photographs on exhibition produced by Il Reportage with the collaboration of IrfeColore.